Monday, August 4, 2014

Old Fashioned....

The Arborio Rice Pudding I made today is another recipe from my Pinterest Treats board.  This recipe was originally posted by ButterYum.  I am starting to think that I will be choosing more treats than other recipes for now.  I have been battling a sweet tooth the past few days and I have been losing, big time.

You can call me old fashioned or whatever you want but I LOVE rice pudding. Before I made this recipe I had only ever had it, very rarely, at a restaurant or the Kozy Shack stuff.  This was much better, really easy and used ingredients that I always have in the house.

Here is the recipe:

Arborio Rice Pudding
 
 
1/2 cup Arborio rice
4 cups milk (skim works just fine)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup raisins (optional) (I did not use, I didn't have any)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract (to taste)
1 egg yolk (optional, will add a bit of luxury to the finished texture) (I left this out too, it was just easier)
Sprinkling of cinnamon (optional)

In a medium heavy-bottomed sauce pan, place rice, milk, sugar, and butter; stir.  
 
 
Bring to a boil; stirring occasionally.  Add raisins if using; reduce heat to a gentle bubble and stir frequently for 20-30 minutes until the rice is plump and creamy (see note below) - don't walk away during this step. 
 
 
 
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and optional egg yolk if using.  Serve immediately or transfer to a storage container and cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming; chill completely.  To speed the chilling process along, pour onto a large rimmed cookie sheet before covering with plastic and placing it in the fridge.  Sprinkle with a little cinnamon before serving.
 
 
Note:  If you plan to serve the rice pudding hot, cook to desired serving consistency.  If you plan to serve it cold, it will firm up when chilled so stop cooking when the consistency is a bit looser than you want.  If you find your chilled rice pudding is too firm, stir in a little cream or half and half.

This pudding came out creamy and delicious.  I was a little skeptical because I was only using 1% milk but the recipe proved me wrong.  I ate some as soon as it was cool enough to eat so I cannot wait to try some tomorrow, after it's been chilled.  

Try this recipe, you probably have all the ingredients and it's really easy.  I like the easy ones!

Talk with you soon.


0 comments:

Post a Comment