Sunday, February 2, 2014

Homemade is the way to go (Part 2)

Here it is, the long awaited post about the fresh pasta I made the other night.  I don't even know if I will be able to convey how good this really was but I will try.

First of all, this was extremely easy and with the help of my KitchenAid mixer and the pasta machine it was close to effortless.  The recipe came from Allrecipes, a site I use quite a bit.

Here is the recipe as it was written :


2 cups All Purpose Flour
2 cups Semolina (I found Bob's Red Mill brand in the baking aisle)
Pinch Salt
6 eggs
2 tablespoons Olive Oil

Thoroughly sift together all-purpose flour, semolina flour, and pinch of salt. On a clean surface, make a mountain out of flour mixture then make a deep well in center. Break the eggs into the well and add olive oil. Whisk eggs very gently with a fork, gradually incorporating flour from the sides of the well. When mixture becomes too thick to mix with a fork, begin kneading with your hands.  

Knead dough for 8 to 12 minutes, until it is smooth and supple. Dust dough and work surface with semolina as needed to keep dough from becoming sticky. Wrap dough tightly in plastic and allow it to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.


Roll out dough with a pasta machine or a rolling pin to desired thickness. Cut into your favorite style of noodle or stuff with your favorite filling to make ravioli. Bring water to a boil in a large pot, then add 4 teaspoons salt. Cook pasta until tender but not mushy, 1 to 8 minutes depending on thickness. Drain immediately and toss with your favorite sauce.

 I did all of this in my mixer using the dough hook.  I put the dry ingredients in first and mixed them together well and then made the well in the center and added the eggs and olive oil. 



I let it mix for the 8 minutes and it seemed a little too dry.  I live at altitude and the climate is fairly dry so this wasn't a complete surprise.  I ended up putting in about a tablespoon and a half of water and letting it mix for a few more minutes.  

Nice action shot, huh?

 When it seemed like the mixer wasn't doing much I floured my counter and kneaded the dough about 10 times.  


 I followed the recipe directions the rest of the way, using my pasta machine to make the fettuccine.  



I did dust the noodles with a little flour so they wouldn't stick together before I cooked them.  Don't use to much or you'll get paste in your pot.

This recipe makes quite a bit so before I ran it through the machine I divided it in half and wrapped the extra up for another day.  Just make sure you wrap the dough tightly and let it sit out a bit before you go to roll and cut it.

I made a meaty tomato sauce to go with this that had been simmering on the stove all day.  There was very little chance this meal was going to be bad.  Unless I screwed up the pasta somehow which I was so afraid of.  Turns out I had nothing to worry about.  

I am a sloppy plater.  Sorry!

Mr. Lucky said it was the best pasta he'd had in his whole life.  He then asked if I could make this every time we have pasta.  As good as it was, I am not making it every time we have pasta, we eat a lot of pasta!

I hope that you will give homemade pasta a try. 
Like the recipe says you do not need a pasta machine to make it.  You can roll out the dough and cut it by hand as well.  Please don't let the lack of a pasta machine deter you from making this.  I am going to make some more pasta from the left over dough tomorrow for dinner. 

Talk with you soon!

JEM




0 comments:

Post a Comment