Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A request....

Just before Halloween one of Mr. Lucky's co-workers made a request.  His wife was having a party at work and wanted me to make some treats for her to bring in.  I was honored!  It also threw me into tizzy trying to decide on the perfect thing to make.  You'd think, with all the recipes I have, that it wouldn't take long.  It took me three days.  I kept flip-flopping, I was overwhelmed with choice.  I eventually decided to make cut out sugar cookies with a glac√© icing.

I have made these cookies before and they were a huge hit.  They are a little labor intensive but in the end they are most definitely worth it.

I got the "No Fail Sugar Cookie Recipe" from Cake Central.  You can find the original recipe here.  I, of course, put my own spin on the recipe.  Here is my version:

5 cups All purpose flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 cups Butter (I use salted and cut the salt in half but you can use unsalted and keep the salt as is)
2 cups Sugar
2 Eggs (I always use large eggs in all my recipes)
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
1 tsp. Princess Cake & Cookie Bakery Emulsion (It's a secret weapon! Go get some here.  You can use 2 tsp. of Vanilla Extract if you don't have this flavoring.)



Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and flavorings and mix well.  Mix together the dry ingredients and add them a little at a time to the butter mixture.  Divide the dough into 4-6 equal parts, this makes it easier to roll out, and chill for 1-2 hours.  Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper to desired thickness and chill again for about 10 minutes.  Once chilled cut the dough into desired shapes and place on parchment or silpat lined baking sheets.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until the edges just start to brown. I was able to make about 5 dozen cookies with this cutter.  The number will always depend on the size of the cutter you use.

The recipe and method for the icing came from here.  She uses almond extract but I used vanilla in mine.  I am not a fan of almond extract, I feel that it can easily become overpowering.  Feel free to play with flavorings in this icing and in your cookies too.  Here is the icing recipe:

1 lb Powdered Sugar (about 3 3/4 C)
6 Tbsp. Milk 
6 Tbsp. Light Corn Syrup (6T is equal to 1/4 C plus another 2 T)
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
With a whisk, combine sugar and milk until smooth (no lumps!) Then stir in corn syrup and extract.
You will use this same recipe for both glazing and piping. Thickened, you can pipe outlines, and as you thin it, you can use it for “flooding” cookies.  Make sure to let them dry overnight to fully harden for stacking.

For these cookies I flooded the body of the pumpkin by spooning about a teaspoon of the icing, that I tinted orange, over the cookie and spreading it evenly over the cookie.  I think I made my icing a little thin because some did flow over the sides of the cookies.  I made a small batch of thicker icing and tinted it green for the stems of the pumpkins.


I was very happy with how these came out and so was the woman I made them for.  Apparently, they were a big hit at her work party.  I did keep a few for Mr. Lucky, Mehgan and myself.  So yummy!  I am planning to make them again for Thanksgiving.

Talk with you soon!



0 comments:

Post a Comment