Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Apples and More Apples....

As I told you in previous posts my brother John's favorite Fall ingredient is pumpkin and while I do like pumpkin treats it's not my favorite.  The humble apple is most definitely my favorite.  I love almost anything with apple in it.  Right this minute I have an apple crisp in the oven and the smell has got me drooling!  Every Fall I make apple crisp about 20 times.  I love it so much.  I try to throw a few apple pies in there just for something different but making a crisp is so easy I don't know why I make anything else.

This crisp recipe is pretty standard and uses ingredients you most likely have in your pantry. You could also use this recipe with berries in the summer without a problem.  I love recipes that don't require an extra trip to the store to get an ingredient that I probably won't every use again.  I try to keep my pantry fairly simple and stocked with items I'll actually use.  Don't get me wrong, I love to try new recipes, the piles of them on almost all flat surfaces in my house will attest to that, but I like simple, easy and delicious.

Here's the recipe:


8 cups chopped tart apples (I used Granny Smith and Honeycrisp)
2 tsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/3 cup butter (cold)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup rolled quick cooking oats

Mix together chopped apples, cinnamon and flour.  Place in a greased 9x13 pan.

In a medium bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder.
Then, cut in cold butter with a pastry cutter or a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.


Stir in brown sugar and oats.
Sprinkle crumbs over fruit evenly.


Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and the apple pieces are tender.  You can check the apples with a fork on the corner, no one will notice. 

This is the perfect treat when served warm with a little vanilla ice cream but it is still super delicious after it has cooled.  



I have been on another recipe tear so I am pretty sure you'll be seeing a few more baked goods this week.
Talk with you soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment