Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pumpkin Mania....

I have mentioned that I have been home in Massachusetts for a few weeks.  Just before I came home my youngest brother had a stroke, he's only 32. We were all extremely freaked out, still are. The doctor says he'll be just fine but he'll be taking it easy for the next few weeks.  Here are a couple pictures of Johnny, one when he was young and adorable and one from his wedding. 

John is on the right.  It looks like I am pinching him.  I probably am.
John and, his wife, Nancy.  Their wedding was such a great time.

So, because he absolutely loves pumpkin, he's my baby brother and he had a stroke I indulged him and made pumpkin pancakes the day after I made him the pumpkin Rice Krispie treats. When I say that he absolutely loves pumpkin it may be an understatement.  He is rather obsessed. 


For this recipe I combined a few different pancake recipes and made a few of my own tweaks so it is basically my own made up recipe.  Does that even make sense????  Here it is:

We tried to get fancy and use poster board as a backdrop.
1 1/2 cups All purpose flour (I suppose you could use whole wheat but I can't guarantee results)
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/4 cup Sugar (This amount can be lowered to as little as a few tablespoons depending on your tastes)
1/2 tsp Cinnamon (Pumpkin pie spice could also be used, I just went with what my mom had in her pantry)
3/4 cup Canned Pumpkin (not pie filling although that might actually work too just leave out the cinnamon)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
Butter for cooking the pancakes (or cooking spray since I know at least one person who won't use butter to cook them)

In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.  In a small bowl whisk together all the wet ingredients until well combined.  Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined.


Heat a skillet or griddle to medium heat and add butter so pancakes won't stick.  Cook on first side until bubbles show, about 2-3 minutes, then flip. Cook on other side for about 2-3 more minutes.

I may have gone a little overboard with the butter.

I definitely used too much butter.

They will be golden around the edges. 

Looking good, right?
Serve them with some warm Maple syrup.  And orange juice.  :-)

Yum!
I know Johnny loved these and that is all that mattered but I hope that you try them and enjoy them just as much.

Mr. Lucky has arrived in Massachusetts and we're staying in a hotel so that means my next few posts will be more about restaurants and things we're up to rather than cooking. 

Talk with you soon....

0 comments:

Post a Comment