Thursday, September 20, 2012

Stuffed peppers....

Last night I made stuffed green peppers for dinner.  This was another request from Mr. Lucky.  He made this request years ago but because I HATE peppers I have avoided making it for all this time.  I finally caved in because I wanted to make something new and I felt bad for never making them for him.

I think green peppers are my #1 most hated food.  I have never liked them.  When I was a kid and my mom or dad made something with peppers I would either pick them out and leave them in a pile on my plate or I wouldn't eat it at all.  I have tried red, orange, yellow and even purple peppers over the years and have found that I kinda like yellow ones.  Yellow peppers have a much milder flavor than the others.  For this recipe I used two green peppers for Mr. Lucky and two yellow ones for me.

Here is the recipe for 4 stuffed peppers:


1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 of a large onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 green bell peppers
1/2 cup uncooked medium grain white rice
1 cup water
2 (8oz) cans tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1 pinch of each dried Basil, Oregano & Parsley
1/4 -1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese for topping the peppers

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

Place the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 20 minutes. In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onions until they are soft then add the garlic.  Cook for about a minute or two then add the beef  and cook until evenly browned. 


 Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers. Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. (Slice the bottoms of the peppers if necessary so that they will stand upright.)  


 In a bowl, mix the browned beef, cooked rice, 1 can tomato sauce, salt, and pepper. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper. 


 Heat the remaining can of sauce with the Basil, Oregano and Parsley for a few minutes until heated through. 


Pour over the tops of the peppers. 


 Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven.  With about 5-10 minutes of cooking time left sprinkle the Mozzarella cheese over the top of the peppers.


I hate to admit it but these came out great.  I really liked them!  Mr. Lucky definitely enjoyed them.  I will say that two peppers each was way too much.  I had served a tomato and cucumber salad with the peppers but Mr. Lucky didn't even touch it.  I ate mine because I'm not afraid of vegetables like he is and I only had one of my peppers.

I will be making this again but probably not until we have some people over to share with us.

Talk with you soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment