Friday, August 3, 2012

Taking matters into my own hands....

Pizza has always been a a pretty big part of our diet.  Not always the healthiest option but on nights when I didn't want to cook it was our go to meal.  Since we have been in Utah we have had the hardest time finding good pizza.  We can't even find mediocre pizza, it is so sad.  I finally had to give in and make my own.

I used my bread machine to make the dough, it could not have been easier. 

My little bread machine.  It is about 10 years old.
Here is the recipe for one and a half pounds of dough from the cookbook that came from the bread machine:

I really need to get a container for my yeast.
All ingredients should be at room temperature (70-80 deg. F)

1/2 tsp salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 cup water
2 Tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil

All the ingredients in the pan ready to be mixed.
 The instructions are specific to the machine but once the dough is done:

Pat dough into a 12x15 inch jelly roll pan or a 12 inch round pizza pan.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Spread pizza sauce over dough. Sprinkle toppings over sauce.  Bake 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

For my sauce I used some canned, crushed tomatoes that I had in the pantry and just added some roasted garlic.  I always have a block of Mozzarella on hand so I shredded up a few cups of that.  As a surprise to Mr. Lucky I made some steak and caramelized onions for toppings.  He was very happy with the results.

My first homemade pizza
This was the best pizza we have had in way too long. I will be making it again soon and I am already planning some new toppings to try and maybe even adding some herbs to the dough.  I am looking forward to it.

Talk with you soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment