Sunday, August 5, 2012

New and different....

I find that sometimes we get in a rut of eating the same meals over and over again.  I have been trying to mix things up with new marinades for meats and by picking up veggies that we've never tried before.  It is pretty difficult to get Mr. Lucky to eat vegetables but I still try.

This week I got a spaghetti squash.  I have had it before but not in quite awhile and I was sure that Mr. Lucky had never had it.  I went in search of a recipe and found a very simple one on Allrecipes.com. Best of all I had everything I needed in my pantry.

Here is the recipe:

4 ingredients, doesn't get much easier.

cooking spray
1 spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray, and place squash halves cut-side down on the sheet. Bake until squash is tender but still crunchy, about 40 minutes. Set aside to cool.


Once cool enough to handle, shred squash flesh from rind using a fork. Set aside.


 Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic in butter until soft. Add squash to the skillet, and cook until hot. Season with salt and pepper.

Forgot to take a picture of it in the pan.
When I added the squash to the pan I also added about a cup of water and just cooked it until the squash absorbed the water.   The squash was just a little too crunchy for my taste and the water remedied that.  Make sure you taste the dish along the way so that you add enough salt and pepper so it's not too bland.

This turned out really well.  I am going to be looking for more spaghetti squash recipes.

Talk with you soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment