Saturday, August 4, 2012

Keys to a happy workplace....

It has been a few weeks since I sent some treats in to work with Mr. Lucky so today I delivered some Key Lime pies.  I figured something nice and summery would be appreciated.  I have to help him keep everyone working hard and what is more motivating than an afternoon sugar high?

I have made this recipe a few times before.  It comes right off the back of the bottle of Nellie & Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice bottle. The first time I found out about this juice was when my mom brought it home from a trip to Key West.  When that bottle ran out I was able to find it at our local grocery store in Massachusetts and I also found it at the grocery store here in Utah so it seems to be widely available.  You can also order right from their website. 

Here is the recipe:






9" graham cracker pie shell
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
3 egg yolks (whites not used)
1/2 cup Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice
(I also add 2 drops of green food coloring to make it look more lime-y)

Combine milk, egg yolks, food coloring and lime juice and blend until smooth.  Pour filling into pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  Let cool for 10 minutes before refrigerating. 

I like this shade of green.
This pie is great served with fresh whipped cream or, like I did today, a simple raspberry sauce.  The sauce was just something I made to accompany the pie because whipped cream would not have held up.  I heated up about half a cup of raspberry jam with about a quarter cup of water and a teaspoon of vanilla.  Once the jam is "melted" I ran it through a mesh strainer to remove all those pesky seeds.  Quick, simple and tasty!

Since two of Mr. Lucky's people need gluten free I made them Key Lime Pots de Creme.  It is the same recipe but instead of putting the filling into the crust I poured it into ramekins.  Then ramekins are then put in a baking pan, I used my 9 x 13 inch metal pan.  The baking pan is then filled with water about halfway up the sides of the ramekins and then the whole thing is covered with foil and baked at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Cute, right?
I brought two of these in to the guys and kept two for us.  I am planning to have mine tomorrow.  The rest of it anyway, I had a couple bites today.  I had to make sure they tasted good. 

Talk with you soon!

1 comments:

Keith Lake said...

Very easy, and very delicious. Thank you very much! I'll see if my kids can make this, it ought to be a fun project for them. They help me make my Pumpkin Pies, this would be a first for them to make something on their own. ☺

Post a Comment