Tuesday, August 7, 2012

House guests....

This weekend we had our first house guest since we moved to Utah.  Our friend Mr. D went on a road trip and stopped here for a few days before heading back to Las Vegas.  I was pretty excited because he's always a fan of what I cook and I like nothing more than cooking for someone with a healthy appetite.  It also gives me opportunity to try new recipes.

I found two recipes to try out on Mr. D, one for dinner and one for dessert. 

The first recipe is a lemon cream pasta.  I have had this one for a while but I do not remember where I got it from.  I know I say that a lot but I copy tons of recipes and don't always write down the source like I should.

Here is the recipe as it was written (I doubled the amounts and made a few additions that I will show at the end):

Pasta is one of the only times I buy the name brand.
 2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth (I always use the reduced sodium)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (a whole good sized lemon)
1 (8 oz) package rotelle pasta (Or any short cut pasta)
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper

In a large sauce pan season the chicken broth with the garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil and add lemon juice and pasta.  Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until all liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.

In process pasta

Stir the cream and lemon zest into the cooked pasta.  Cook, stirring, over low heat for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Stir thoroughly before serving. 

The finished pasta
Here are a few notes on my version.  I doubled all the ingredients and found that all the chicken broth was not absorbed.  It wasn't too much of a problem, it just made for more sauce.  If I make this again I will only use three cans of broth to see how it turns out.  When this was just about done I tasted it and I felt it needed something so I added about a quarter cup of Parmesan cheese and a tablespoon of dried Parsley.  They worked out perfectly.

Along with this pasta I made chicken cutlets.  I love chicken cutlets but they are a bit of work to make.  You can see my post on how I make them, here.

Don't they look delicious?
For dessert I made cannoli bites.  I love cannolis and when I found this recipe I knew I had try it.  I also knew that it could be very dangerous, I may become addicted.

Here is the recipe:

1 cup Ricotta Cheese
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp heavy cream
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp fresh orange zest
2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips
30 mini Phyllo cups (2 boxes)

In a small food processor or blender, blend together the first 5 ingredients until smooth.  Remove to a bowl and fold in orange zest and chocolate chips.  Using a small spoon, spoon evenly into the Phyllo cups.  Sprinkle with extra powdered sugar, cocoa or both.  Serve immediately.  (The filling can be made in advance but do not fill the cups until just before serving so that they don't get soggy.)

Like my classy paper plate?
We were so glad to have Mr. D here for a visit.  I hope he enjoyed his stay and more importantly I hope he enjoyed what I cooked for him. 

Talk with you soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan,
Just checking in and I noticed the recipe for cannoli bites. Yum!! Cannolis are my one 'sweets' downfall. This looks like a good way to use up that little extra bit of ricotta that's left over after making a main dish. Love, Aunt Janet

JEM said...

Jan, Definitely make the cannoli bites. They were so good!!! Mr. Lucky isn't a fan of Ricotta but he loved these. I will be making these again very very soon. Love you!

Post a Comment