Friday, July 6, 2012

Patriotic treats....

I haven't made anything interesting in about a week or so, until yesterday.  I think I made up for the whole week of no recipes in one day!  Mr. Lucky even helped.  I probably should have gotten a picture of that, it doesn't happen all that often. 

We were invited to a July 4th BBQ at one of Mr. Lucky's co-worker's houses.  I volunteered to make my (my Aunt Janet's) famous Taco Dip and a macaroni salad and I added a surprise "plate" at the last minute.  I also wanted to make some cupcakes for Mr. Lucky's people that had to work on the holiday.  A lot right?

All my ingredients!
Let's start with the cupcakes since that is really all I have pictures for.  So, not only is my photography shoddy but sometimes completely omitted.  I am making an effort to get better at remembering to take pictures but the quality may take awhile. 

Anyway, the cupcakes......

The cupcakes themselves were made from a white cake mix.  I added some vanilla and used whole eggs.  I didn't need it to be super white and what am I going to do with the left over egg yolks???  After the batter was mixed up I divided it into thirds and used food coloring to make one third red, one third blue and left the last third white.  See where I am going with this?


When the color was thoroughly mixed in I spooned it into the cupcake papers in the pans. It took me awhile to figure out what order I do the colors.  I finally decided on red on the bottom, white in the middle and blue on top. 

Forgot to take one with the blue on top.

Closer up, the white just spread across the top of the red.
The box of mix claims that you will get 24 cupcakes.  I have NEVER got 24 cupcakes out of one box. I got 18.  It might partly be because I fill them about 3/4 full but who knows. 

Here is how they looked once baked.

So cool!
Inside... love this!

I think these came out super cute.  I cannot wait to try this with other colors.  I think multicolored  cupcakes for a kids birthday party would be great!

The frosting recipe I used is really simple and can be halved or doubled very easily.  I hate fractions so when I can multiply or divide a recipe easily I am happy.

Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening (Crisco)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 Tbsp milk or water (you may need more or less depending on the consistency you are looking for)
1 lb. (4 cups) confectioner's sugar
Pinch of salt
2 drops Orange oil
2 drops Lemon oil (these oils are available at craft stores in the cake/candy aisles)

Cream shortening, butter, vanilla, milk, orange and lemon oils.  Add salt and sugar and mix on medium until all the ingredients have been thoroughly combined. 

I told you it was simple. You'll have to scrape down the sides of your bowl with  a rubber spatula once or twice to make sure everything is incorporated.   Make sure that when you add the sugar that you slowly bring the mixer up to speed so that you do not cover your kitchen.

To add a little more patriotic flair I used toothpicks to put some red and blue gel food coloring on the inside of my piping bag.  This made the frosting kinda striped when it was piped.


I added some red, white and blue star sprinkles too.  I had them and they were cute so why not. 

These were a huge hit when we dropped them off.  The platter was empty before we even left.  That makes me happy.

Here is the surprise that I brought with us......


Blueberries, strawberries and some Monterrey Jack cheese.  I thought it was cute.  I made it on a whim after getting the idea from Pinterest (where else, right?).

Hope you had a great 4th of July!!!  Next up I'll give you the recipes for the Taco dip and Macaroni salad that I brought to the party.

Talk with you soon!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

The cupcakes look fabulous, Janet!

JEM said...

Thanks Sarah! They were a lot of fun to make.

Shelly said...

The cupcakes were very good! My hubby brought me home a few he got from work!

JEM said...

Shelly, so glad you liked the cupcakes!

Post a Comment