Sunday, July 8, 2012

And called it Macaroni....

The last recipe I made for the 4th of July party was a macaroni salad.  I created this recipe a few years ago for one of my Dad's pool parties.  I was usually in charge of the non-grill cooking and wanted a yummy but easy macaroni salad.  I also wanted it to be colorful so I added lots of veggies.

Here is the recipe:

2 boxes macaroni (or any short cut pasta like penne or rotini)
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3-4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1 pkt Italian dressing mix
oil, vinegar and water (per the dressing pkt instructions)
salt & pepper to taste

Cook pasta per package instructions, drain and set aside in a large bowl.  Prepare the Italian dressing per the packet instructions and set aside.  Prepare and chop all the vegetables and put the into the bowl with the pasta, mix well.  Add the dressing to the salad and mix well, so everything is coated.  Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve chilled.

If you like more of a mayonnaise-y salad you can use the same dressing packet with a cup and a half of mayonnaise.  If you find it is too thick you can add a little milk or water to make it thinner.  Then mix it with the salad as with the dressing.

I sometimes add some Feta cheese to the salad too for a little extra flavor.  I bet some Parmesan would be good too if you aren't a fan of Feta.

This week I have a few things planned.  I think I'll keep them secret so you'll see them as I make them.

Talk with you soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment