Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sans raisins....

Mr. Lucky and I just returned from a gorgeous weekend in Las Vegas.  We love Las Vegas.  So much so that we got married there almost 7 years ago.  This little trip was to celebrate my birthday.  Now that we live within driving distance we'll be there more often.  Yay!  We were also able to go to dinner and spend some time with a good friend of ours who now lives in Las Vegas, Mr. D. 

We had dinner at the BEST Italian restaurant I have ever been to, Casa di Amore.  Mr. D introduced us to this amazing place on our last visit and we plan to make a visit every time we go down from now on.  The food is delicious and authentic, the atmosphere is definitely old Vegas, the service is excellent and they have live entertainment every night. They will even send a limo to your hotel to pick you up and bring you back so go ahead and order a bottle of wine.  Going to Vegas?  Go to Casa di Amore, you will love it.

On to the point of this post. Back around Christmas time I told Mr. D I would make him some oatmeal cookies without raisins, he's not a fan.  I finally made them. I used the same recipe my mom always used.  The one from the top of the Quaker Oats container except for the raisins of course.

Here is the recipe from Quaker Oats:


1/2  cup (1 stick) plus 6 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4  cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2  cup granulated sugar
2  eggs
1  teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2  cups all-purpose flour
1  teaspoon baking soda
1  teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2  teaspoon salt (optional)
3  cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1  cup raisins

Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy.

 
Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and raisins; mix well.


Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.


Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.





The recipe claims to make 4 dozen cookies.  I think I made mine a bit bigger than that, I got about two and a half dozen.

I love raisins but these were still pretty good.  You could also use chocolate chips and even some nuts.  I am hoping that Mr. D liked them.  I am also wondering what treat he'd like me to make him next.   

Next up, all about our visit to Jean Pierre Chocolates at the Bellagio.

Talk to you soon!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mr. D here ... I love oatmeal cookies and this batch of glory only solidified my opinion. They were moist but completely cooked through ... And no annoying burnt edges! JEM was kind enough to bring me a giant freezer bag full of them and they are well on their way to the endangered species list!
Thanks again!!!!

JEM said...

Mr. D, Glad you liked them! You know I love to cook but it makes it that much better when someone loves what I make for them. See you soon!

Post a Comment