Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Rightside up....

Mr. Lucky loves pineapple. He'll eat it plain, on pizza or in cake. I finally got it together and made him the pineapple upside down cakes I have been talking about.  I got the recipe from Big Mama's Home Kitchen which I probably found through Pinterest.  (Don't get me started on Pinterest, I am completely addicted!!!)

I made these in jumbo muffin pans because that's how she did it in the original recipe and my cast iron skillet was occupied by a couple of rib-eye steaks.  I gotta work with what I have, right?

Here is the recipe:

That's brown sugar in the silver canister.
Cake Ingredients:

2 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
4 Tbsp pineapple juice
2/3 C all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Topping:

1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 can pineapple rings
6 maraschino cherries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray your muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray. 


In a mixing bowl, add eggs, white sugar, and pineapple juice.  Beat for 2 minutes.  In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Add to the wet ingredients and turn mixer back on for 2 minutes. 

In a small sauce pan, melt the butter and add the brown sugar.  Stir on low heat for one minute.

Spoon a layer of the warm brown sugar mixture into the bottom of each muffin tin, then place a pineapple ring on top.  Add a cherry in the middle of each pineapple.    

My cherries were kinda wimpy, they didn't fill up the center of the pineapple.
Pour cake mixture over to fill muffin tin 3/4 of the way full.  Bake cakes for 25 minutes. I baked mine for 22 minutes at 325 because I am at what is considered high altitude but I will probably bake them for the full 25 minutes next time. If you choose to make a large cake, bake for 22-25 minutes in a 10 inch cast iron skillet.  The cake is done with a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.


Remove from the oven.  Let cool in pan for 3 minutes.  Run a knife around the edge of each cake to help loosen in case it sticks a little.  Place a wire cooling rack on top, and quickly flip over on top of sheet tray to catch extra drippings.


I turned them out right on to the platter hoping they'd be a little more "syrupy".  I think leaving them in the oven for those extra few minutes will fix that next time.  

I have never had homemade pineapple upside down cake before I made these.  I will NEVER get store bought again.  These were DELICIOUS!  They were really easy too.  This recipe is definitely a keeper, it will most definitely be made again.  

Tomorrow I am thinking about making lime butter cookies.  I also have all the stuff to make some old school rice pudding. Brownies are never a bad idea either.  I am not sure yet what will win out.

Talk with you soon!

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment