Sunday, June 24, 2012

Citrus Twist....

To go along with the macaroons that I posted about yesterday I made some ruby red grapefruit bars, think lemon bars with a twist.  I used my tried and true recipe for lemon bars that I got from my King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion.  If you make a lot of cookies or want to make a lot of cookies get this book.  It has great recipes and tons of tips and tricks.  I also love that they provide recipe variations which are helpful if you want something new but are kinda stuck for ideas. 

Here is the recipe:

Isn't that grapefruit gorgeous?  Can fruit be gorgeous? I think so!
Crust:
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter

Topping:
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup Ruby Red Grapefruit juice (1 large grapefruit)
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp. grated grapefruit zest
Confectioner's sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x9 inch, 11x7 inch or similar sized pan.
 
To make the crust:
In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt.  Using a pastry blender, your fingers or a mixer, cut in the butter, mixing it to form coarse crumbs. Press the crumbs into the prepared pan. 


Back the crust for 20 minutes, or until it's light brown.

To make the topping: 
In a medium sized bowl, beat together the eggs, granulated sugar and grapefruit juice until smooth.  Stir in the flour, salt and grapefruit zest. 



Pour the topping over the hot crust.

I beat the mixture too much and it got a bit bubbly. Don't make my mistake.
Return the pan to the oven, and continue baking for about 25 minutes, or until the top of the squares appears set.  Remove from the oven and cool in the pan.  Sprinkle with the Confectioner's sugar just before cutting and serving.


This is pre-Confectioner's sugar.  I forgot to take that picture.
So, there you have it.  I didn't get to try this but a little birdie told me that they were very well received.  I plan to make them again very soon.  I did buy two of those gorgeous grapefruit(s).  I can't wait actually.

I have not decided what I am going to make next.  It'll be a surprise for you and me. 

Talk with you soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment