Saturday, June 9, 2012

Challenges....

A few weeks ago I told you about the cupcakes we brought to Mr. Lucky's work.  At that time a request was made for something gluten free.  I have never made anything gluten free before.  It wasn't a consideration I had ever had to make.  Nut allergies, yes, gluten intolerance, no but I am always up for a challenge.

After some internet searching I decided to make Buckeyes.  I got the recipe on from All recipes.  They actually had quite a few gluten free recipes to choose from.

Here is the recipe:


1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 cups confectioners' sugar
4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, butter, confectioner's sugar and vanilla.  The dough will look dry. 
Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Press a toothpick into the top of each ball (to be used later as a handle for the dipping) and chill in freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.
Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. 
In case you don't know what a double boiler is

Stir frequently until smooth.

Just starting to melt





Dip frozen peanut butter balls in chocolate holding on to the toothpick.  Leave a small portion of the peanut butter showing at the top to make them look like Buckeyes.  Put back on the cookie sheet and refrigerate until serving.
I halved this recipe because it would have made way too many.  Even after I cut it in half I ended up with over 40.  
As you can see, I had some dipping issues so they do not look like Buckeyes at all.  These turned into plain old chocolate peanut butter balls.  I forgot to insert the toothpicks so I used my regular truffle dipping tools.

I used the 2 pronged fork for these.

I even had some chocolate left over to make some chocolate dipped strawberries. I love them! 


I am not planning much cooking for the next few days.  Mr. Lucky and I have filled up our weekend.  We'll see what next week brings.  I am thinking about pineapple upside down cakes and coconut macaroons.  Any suggestions?

Talk to you soon!

1 comments:

JoshJoe said...

Call them whatever you want...buckeyes...peanut butter balls...all I know is that they tasted great! Thank you!

Mr. Lucky's cronies appreciated the gesture. :)

Post a Comment