Thursday, May 31, 2012

Quick bread....

When I get bored I either go online and hoard more recipes or I bake.  The other night I chose to bake.  I had some carrots that needed to get used up so off I went in search of a recipe for "carrot something".  I found the recipe for Pineapple Carrot bread in "The Taste of Home Baking Book".

Here is the recipe:

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
3 eggs
2 cups shredded carrots

Yup, shredded 'em myself!  Had orange fingers for a few days.

1 cup vegetable oil
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
3/4 cup confectioner's sugar, optional
1 to 1 1/2 tsp milk, optional

 In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.


In another bowl, beat the eggs; add carrots, oil, pineapple and vanilla.


Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Fold in nuts. (I haven't fully stocked my pantry yet so I had to leave out the nuts. Next time.)

Spoon into two greased 8 in x 4 in x 2 in loaf pans. 



Bake at 350 degrees for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.  If glaze is desired, combine confectioner's sugar and milk; drizzle over loaves.

Since I had the streusel left over from the banana muffins I decided to put that on the top of the bread.


When prepping to make this I discovered that I only have one loaf pan.  I can't figure out how that happened but I plan to rectify it very soon.  This beautiful blue one was a gift from my dear aunt Alicia.  It came with a matching 8 in x 8 in square pan.  I love them, Thanks Alicia!  So, in lieu of the other loaf pan I made muffins with the remaining batter. 

This tasted 1000 times better than I thought it would.  I heated up a piece with a little butter just the next day and it was still good.  Don't you hate when you make or buy something and then the next day it doesn't taste the same or goes stale too fast?  It makes me crazy!!!

See all that carrot in there?  That makes it healthy, right?

Next up I am making oatmeal cookies WITHOUT raisins for a friend we're going to see over the weekend.

Talk to you soon!

2 comments:

Alicia Hintlian said...

Oh...that's brought a tear to my eye...my dear aunt Alicia...oh you silly niece you...you've gone and made me cry. The pans do look beautiful. They must bake well or you wouldn't be as happy with them so that's a wonderful thing aesthetics and utility! The bread sounds yummy. Sara will have to give the recipe a try...she loves to bake.
How's the Wild West?

JEM said...

You are my dear aunt Alicia! The pans definitely bake well, I absolutely love them. Please let me know if Sara tries the recipe.

JEM

Post a Comment