Monday, May 7, 2012

First meal in the new kitchen...


Most of the time I am the nag in our relationship, I can admit it, but once in awhile my darling husband has to nag me about something.  I try to be good about cooking anything that Mr. Lucky requests but sometimes I slack off a bit.  The most recent nag was about soup.

When we first moved into our new place I was very focused on getting the boxes unpacked and out of the way that I didn't start cooking right away.  Mr. Lucky was not so happy about it.  He had to ask me at least 10 times to make him turkey barley soup.  Well,  he actually just asked for "a barley soup" he didn't care what kind of meat I decided to use.  Our new grocery store is awesome and had some great chopped turkey breast.
Roasted chopped turkey breast.
 I just tossed it with some olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted it in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes.  It was perfect!

The soup itself is super easy.  This is another one that I don't have an exact recipe for but I will try to make it as clear as possible. 

2 lg cans (72 oz) of chicken broth, if you can find turkey, go for it, but chicken will do just fine
1 lg onion, diced
3-4 lg carrots, peeled and sliced into ~1/4" pieces
8 oz sliced mushrooms, I buy mine pre-sliced because it saves time!
1 cup ,give or take depending on taste, pearl barley, you want to make sure you get the pearl barley, it cooks faster
A bag this size will last us forever!
Salt and Pepper to taste, I use Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt.  A very dear friend's mother introduced me to it many years ago.  You can find it at almost any grocery store.

It has salt and a whole bunch of other goodies in it. Hence, the Mixed Up name.
Add some olive oil to a stock pot on medium heat.  Add the onions, carrots and mushrooms and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until the onions are translucent.  Now, add the turkey and the broth and simmer for about 30 minutes.  Then add the barley and simmer for about an hour.  It will be done when the barley is soft. 

Yum! 
I served the soup with some yummy cornbread.  Nothing fancy, just the boxed kind.  Don't judge, it is tasty! 
Just like my momma used to make :-)
I am going to apologize again for my photography.  It's not the greatest but I am trying to get better. 

Talk to you soon! 


1 comments:

Chelle said...

Glad Mr. Lucky likes soup! I'm not a fan, but if I did like it, it looks good! How's that for confusing? lol :)

~Chelle

Post a Comment