Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Employee appreciation....

Mr. Lucky is the supervisor of a group that has some weekend employees.  Awful, huh?  He feels bad too so he asked me to make them some treats to drop off to them.  I, of course, said YES!  I had been dying to make a peanut butter frosting so now I had my chance.

I had been running a peanut butter frosting recipe through my head for a few weeks.  How would I make it? Would I use real peanut butter or a flavoring? Use the peanut butter in addition to the butter and shortening in the recipe or as a replacement or in combination?  This is just a glimpse into how my crazy brain works.  I get a recipe idea and it rattles around in there until I have a chance to make it. 

Here is the recipe:


1/2  cup sold white vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter (I used Jif but any kind will do)
1 Tbsp Vanilla extract (more or less depending on taste)
1/4 cup milk or water  (more or less depending on desired consistency, I use Milk)
1 1/2 lbs. confectioner's sugar (approx. 6 cups)
A pinch of salt (optional)
Cream together shortening, flavoring and milk.  


Add dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.  Blend an additional minute or so, until creamy.

  
Doesn't that look yummy?  It was!

I suppose you want to know what I put this yummy frosting on?  What goes best with peanut butter? Chocolate, of course!



To frost these I used a Wilton 1A tip.  This is probably the easiest way I have found to frost cupcakes.

I had the hardest time getting a picture of this!

Now, I'd love to explain how to frost a cupcake but I am not that good at explaining things and it would be much easier to show you.  Maybe next time I make cupcakes I will have Mr. Lucky take some video of my technique, such as it is.

I finished the cupcakes off with some Reese's Pieces for a little fun and extra color.  I think they looked cute.


I hope that Mr. Lucky's people liked them.  I know that he loved the few that I kept here.  I taste tested too much of the frosting to eat any cupcakes.  Total sugar overload!

I have to say again that I am so happy to be on a roll in the kitchen again.  Next up some pineapple carrot bread.

Talk to you soon!

4 comments:

Aaron said...

My wife really enjoyed these cupcakes. I'm Celiac, so it was great to be able to take these home to a nursing mother and our 7 week-old baby. She wasn't as excited about it until she took a bite, and then she was very enthusiastic. It made all three of us smile.

JEM said...

Aaron,

I am so glad your wife liked the cupcake. I will have to do some research on gluten free recipes for next time. I know a few people on gluten free diets so it would be helpful to me too.

JEM

Aaron said...

Mr. Lucky is right! My boss just put some treats on my desk and they're delicious, not to mention gluten free! Making gluten free treats/desserts is very challenging with all the various (very various). The boss reminded me I might want to take something home to my wife; I will need to hide something away in the break room refrigerator to keep me from eating it.

Two of the desserts we really have enjoyed come from Latin America and other Spain-invaded countries (though European folks may disagree with that statement): Quesadilla from El Salvador, and Flan. The flan I used to make a lot came from a friend from Mexico and my step-Mom from the Philippines. I will send recipes through Mr. Lucky. A good Quesadilla recipe we use is here: http://www.floras-hideout.com/recipes/recipes.php?page=recipes&data=q-r/Quesadilla_Salvadorena

Wow. Thank you! Great food is the best!

JEM said...

Aaron,

I would love to make flan. Any recipes are always welcome! I am going to make the quesadilla recipe for myself. Mr. Lucky does not like cream cheese. He doesn't even like it when it is in the fridge.

Were you able to bring some sweets home to your wife???

JEM

Post a Comment