Wednesday, May 23, 2012

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

Mr. Lucky loves bananas, banana bread, banana muffins etc.  Me, not so much, I just don't like 'em.  But tonight I decided to indulge him and make some banana muffins.  I kinda cheated though, I used a box of Jiffy banana muffin mix and doctored it up with some real banana, vanilla and a streusel topping.

Here is the recipe:


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin cups or use paper liners.

The muffin mix calls for 1/3 cup milk and one egg.  To this I added half a banana that I mashed up with a fork and a teaspoon of vanilla.


Mix everything together until just combined and fill the muffin cups about halfway full.  I ended up with 6 muffins and I was finally able to use these adorable liners that I got on clearance last year after Valentine's day.

So cute, right?

I got the streusel recipe from (what else) Joy of Cooking.  Here is the recipe:

2/3 cup almonds, walnuts or pecans, chopped (I skipped these because I didn't have any!)
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar (I used half white sugar and half brown sugar for some added flavor)
5 Tbsp butter, melted (I did not melt it.  I made sure it was very cold to cut it into the other ingredients)
1 tsp cinnamon
I also added about a 1/4 cup of oats and a teaspoon of vanilla

Use a fork or a pastry blender to combine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  


This made way more streusel than I needed.  I added about a tablespoon to the top of the batter on each muffin. So, I guess I will have to make something with the left over sometime this week.

Bake the muffins on the middle rack in the preheated oven for 13-15 minutes.

How yummy do these look?
Mr. Lucky was overjoyed that I made these.  He said they were delicious.  I didn't try them because, like I said, I don't like bananas.  They smelled out of this world though.

Can I just say that I am so glad to be back in the kitchen and cooking?  It makes me happy! I am happy! Things are finally back to normal and it feels great. With all the craziness with our move and getting settled in a new state I was feeling a bit lost. Ok, that's all for now.

Talk to you soon!

1 comments:

Chelle said...

mmmmmmmmmmmm bananasssssssssssssss. I LOVE bananas! I probably eat 3 or 4 a day, lol. So glad you're cooking and baking again! Yay!!

~Me

Post a Comment