Saturday, July 30, 2011

Something different....

I am forever trying to find ways to get Mr. Lucky to eat vegetables.  He will eat: onions, peppers, winter squashes, zucchini, summer squash and green beans. He will eat carrots but only if they are  drenched with butter and maple syrup or brown sugar.  He will not, however, eat any of these without an argument.  It is absolute torture!

When I went to the berry farm last week I visited their farm stand and found these amazing golden zucchinis.


Let me go off topic for a second here. My kitchen has the worst lighting in the history of the world.  It could be the brightest part of the sunniest day of the year and my kitchen still looks like it is the middle of the night.  I have started placing things on my windowsill to photograph them and *gasp* using the flash on my camera. I have read many places that you should never use a flash to take food pictures, I HAVE to or else you would not get any pictures from me.  Someday I'll be able to take gorgeous food photos. I hope you'll stick with me until then.

OK, back to the point of this post.  My gorgeous golden zucchinis! I had never seen these before so I had to have them! I knew immediately that I was going to stuff them.  My big problem was deciding what to use for the stuffing.  It had to be something that Mr. Lucky would eat, like I said, not always an easy thing to accomplish.

I finally decided on a simple mixture of onions, mushrooms, seasoned breadcrumbs and some Parmesan cheese.  I didn't really use exact measurements but I will approximate for you.

1 medium Vidalia onion, diced
4-6 oz mushrooms, chopped (I used button mushrooms)
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 - 1 tsp minced garlic
Salt & Pepper to taste
1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Butter

Heat the oil and butter in a skillet on medium heat. Add in the onions and cook them until they are a bit softened then add in the mushrooms.  Let the mushrooms cook down a bit then add the thyme, garlic and salt and pepper.  Stir everything together and let it cook for a bit.  Taste the mixture to be sure it is seasoned enough.  Take the mixture off the heat and add the breadcrumbs and Parmesan.  Mix until everything is combined.  Set aside too cool before stuffing the zucchinis.

The onion/mushroom mixture





After I made the stuffing I cut off the tops and scooped out the the zucchinis.  I used a melon baller for this and it turned out to be super easy.






Ready to be stuffed!




If I ever find these little guys again I will salt and pepper the insides after I scoop them out.  Maybe just a little bit of olive oil.

Each zucchini took about 2-3 Tbsp of the stuffing to fill up.  Again, I am just estimating.  I am not a big measure-er when I am just whipping something up.  I always measure the first time I make a recipe though.


I sprinkled a little more Parmesan on the tops and put them in a foil lined baking pan that I had drizzled with a little olive oil.  I baked them at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes.  They came out perfectly tender and the stuffing had crisped up a little bit on the top. 


I am so glad I bought these.  And....... drum roll please....... Mr. Lucky liked them!  Mission accomplished!

0 comments:

Post a Comment