Saturday, April 16, 2011

Comfort....

When I found this recipe I knew I had to make it, the main ingredient is potato! It may be due to my heritage or just because there are so many delicious ways to prepare them but either way I LOVE potatoes. Mashed, baked, fries, whatever! Just give me some potatoes.  I know Mr. Lucky gets sick of them, he's not the biggest fan.  He'd rather have rice or bread as his starch. Won't he ever learn???

On to the recipe...I guess I'll say I used this recipe as a guideline.  I did make quite a few changes, that I'll notate for you.

Slow Cooked Ham and Scalloped Potatoes
5-6 medium baking potatoes, unpeeled and sliced 1/4" thick (I have a mandolin that makes this super easy)















1/3 cup diced green onion, green and white parts
Approx. 2 1/2 cups smoked ham, thin cubed (I used some ham steaks)
3 Tbsp unsalted butter (I NEVER use unsalted butter, I don't buy it. I usually just omit any additional salt)
3 Tbsp Flour
1 2/3 cup milk
3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
salt & pepper
cooking spray















Coat the interior of the slow cooker crock with cooking spray.  Evenly layer the potatoes with the onions and ham.  Sprinkle each layer with a pinch of salt and pepper. (I decided to fore go the slow cooker in the interest of time so I used my Corningware baking dish and a 350 degree oven. I parboiled the potatoes for about 10 minutes, until they were slightly softened before layering them in the baking dish. Be sure to let them cool a bit before trying to layer them, I did not.  Learn from my mistakes!!!)

















In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, until the butter is completely absorbed.  Slowly add the milk and heat for 3-5 minutes or until slightly thickened.  Do not allow the sauce to boil.  Remove from heat and add the Parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted.

Pour the sauce over the potatoes.  Cook the mixture on high for approximately 2-2 1/2 hours or until the potatoes have completely softened.  There should be no need to stir during cooking.  Serves about 4-6 as a side and 3-4 as an entree. (I also sprinkled some Parmesan over the top of the casserole. I baked it for about 45 minutes, until the sauce was bubbling up.)



Forgot to take a picture before we dove in!



























This turned out so delicious, I will definitely make it again.  The only things I will change are adding some more cheese to the sauce and adding more ham but cutting it up smaller than I did this time.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment