Thursday, January 13, 2011

A semi-disaster......

I don't know if I have mentioned this but I am a bit of a recipe whore.  I collect them totally indiscriminately.  I have so many I couldn't make them all in two lifetimes. Anyway, I needed a dessert to go with my beef barley soup and I had just seen this recipe for Raspberry Oatmeal Crumb Pie on Tastespotting.com.  The recipe came from For the love of cooking. I love raspberries and the oatmeal crust just sounded so good!  Here is the recipe:

1 cup of flour
1 cup of quick cook oats
2/3 cup of brown sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup of butter, diced
21 oz can of raspberry pie filling
 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a pie dish with cooking spray. (I used the little bit of butter left on the wrapper after I used the stick in the crust)

Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, and baking soda together in a bowl. 
 
Use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter until it resembles a course crumbly mixture. 
 
Measure 1 cup and set aside. Add the remaining mixture to the pie pan and press firmly to the bottom and sides. 
 
Add the raspberry pie filling and smooth out evenly.
 
Add the remaining oat mixture to the top and spread evenly.  I added a handful of sliced almonds to the topping because I love almonds and because I could! (I forgot to take a picture of this step and the fully baked pie, Sorry!)  Place into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the crumb topping is golden brown. Let the pie cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.

I think my pie plate was a little deeper than the one the original poster because my top edges came up higher and browned a little more than I would have liked.  Not burnt, just a little browner (is that a word?). 

Now we get to the serving part. This was not very successful.  The pie filling was just too liquidy (another made-up word?). I let the pie sit for about half an hour while we ate dinner so it wasn't because it was too hot.  I don't know what I would do to remedy this for next time.  Don't get me wrong, we still ate the pie and it was DELICIOUS.  It was just a little difficult to serve and it flowed all over the pie plate like a river. 

Any suggestions for a less liquidy filling?

3 comments:

Mr Lucky said...

I have to say that as a consumer of some of these great meals, I could give a rat's behind as to the leakage on that raspberry delight!! It was awesome!!

Chelle said...

Did you cook the filling first? Maybe heat it on the stove and put some cornstarch in the thicken it? Sounds like a good pie though!

JEM said...

I think if I do it again I will cook the filling with some cornstarch to tighten it up.

Post a Comment