Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Keeping the hubby fed and watered........

Mr. Lucky does not often ask me to make a specific dish so when he does I try to oblige him.  Tonight I made him Beef Barley soup.  This soup is one of his absolute favorites and it is quite easy.  I usually don't use a recipe for this soup, I just kinda wing it.  I tried to document what and how much I used this time so I could share it with you.  So here is the recipe (according to what I used):

1 1/4lbs lean stew beef
1 large onion, diced (I used 2 small ones)
3 large carrots, peeled & sliced
8 oz mushrooms, cleaned & sliced (I used plain white button mushrooms)
1 cup barley (can be found in most grocery stores)
12 cups of beef broth/stock (reduced sodium if you can find it)
flour (for coating the beef)

Sprinkle flour on all sides of the beef. 

Add a tablespoon or so of oil to a pan and heat to medium high (I used the stock pot I make the soup in).  Put half of the meat into the pan to sear.  When all sides are seared, remove and set aside.  Repeat the searing process with the remaining meat, when done set aside with the first batch.

Add broth to a stock pot and put on medium heat.  (Since I used the stock pot to sear the meat I took one cup of broth to deglaze my pan so all the yummy bits from the bottom of the pan would be in the soup.)  Add the carrots, onions and beef to the stock.

I like to saute the mushrooms in some olive oil with a little salt and garlic to release some of their moisture.  I find that just putting them directly into the soup makes them a little slimy, not a texture I want from my mushrooms.  Feel free to test my theory, of course. After sauteing (or not) add the mushrooms to the soup.

Cook the soup on medium heat until the carrots are cooked through.  Now add the barley and cook for at least an hour.  The barley will take at least that long to soften up.  Just give it a taste test before you serve to make sure the barley is soft enough. 

Mr. Lucky and I loved this soup!  I have made it a few times before but this time it just tasted better, I can't think of anything I did differently.  Oh, well!  It was good and Mr. Lucky was happy.  That is all that matters.

I made some fresh bread to go along with the soup but that is a post for another time.

Try this, you'll like it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment