Saturday, January 22, 2011

An idea......

Thanks to my snow day today I was very lazy.  I lounged around and got caught up on all my DVR'd shows and contemplated what to make for dinner.  Well, I didn't contemplate dinner all day.  I had an idea and then had to figure out how to make it work. 
We had some center cut pork chops in the fridge and I wanted to do something different with them.  I did need a few more ingredients so I very nicely asked Mr. Lucky to go back to the store, he did.  What would I do without him?

I came up with: Mustard crusted pork chops with caramelized onions and apples on top.  I served it with fries and green beans, not exactly gourmet but it's what I had (and used the least # of pans).  I just winged this so I really don't have an exact recipe but I will try my best to give you amounts so you can recreate this if you want.

For the pork chops:

2 boneless center cut pork chops


1/4 cup flour
1 - 2 Tbsp mustard powder (I used 1 Tbsp but it definitely wasn't enough)

pinch of salt
pinch of freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil for frying
Whisk the flour, mustard, salt and pepper together until everything is evenly mixed in.  I did this on a paper plate so I could just throw it away when I was finished.  Coat all sides of the chops with the flour mixture and shake off the excess.

Put about a tablespoon or so of olive oil into an oven safe frying pan.  Heat to medium high, you want the chops to sizzle when you put them in the pan.   Add the chops to the pan and cook about 1-2 minutes each side.  You just want to sear in the juices not cook them through. 

Once both sides are seared pop the pan into a preheated 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  You can cut into one of them to check the doneness (there I go making up words again). My fries were in there at 450 degrees so I just adjusted the time on the meat. 

For the Onions & Apples:

2 Granny Smith Apples, sliced
1 large or 2 small onions, sliced
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
3-4 Tbsp Maple Syrup (The REAL stuff!!!)
2-3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Butter, for frying
1 Tbsp Olive oil, for frying

Add the butter and olive oil to a large skillet and heat to medium until butter melts.  Add the onions and apples and turn the heat down to medium low.  
Let the onions and apples saute for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Once the onions and apples are softened add the vinegar to deglaze the pan.  
 
This also gives the finished dish a little tang.  Cook the vinegar off for about a minute or two then add the maple syrup and brown sugar.  Stir the mixture until everything is well combined and let it cook for a few more minutes so the sugar disolves.  And you're done!


You can serve this as a side like an amazing over the top applesauce or on top of the pork chops like I did. 
Please remember that these measurements are just estimates, use what you like to your taste.  Cooking is an art so you have some license. 

2 comments:

Chelle said...

Those look good! "Cooking is an art" is something I think I need to try harder to remember....I am recipe-dependent sometimes :D

JEM said...

It is an art and usually you won't mess something up too bad by adding or subtracting. Play with your food!! :-) I do! Baking is a science so you can only play around with those recipes so much.

Post a Comment