Thursday, January 6, 2011

Happy New Year!

I hope that every one had a wonderful holiday season.  I definitely did!  It was filled with all of my favorite things: family, friends and food!

I don't usually make New Year's resolutions because I never keep them but this year I have made a promise to myself to be a better blogger.  I get so caught up in everything else that I put off my posts and then don't even bother.  That is going to change!  I hope I still have a few readers.

For Christmas Mr. Lucky gave me "The Pioneer Woman Cooks".  I was so thrilled!  If you have never read Ree Drummond's blog you have to, it is great!  From the moment I opened it I have been reading it like a novel, I do this with most of my cookbooks.  I am a bit obsessed with them. 

For New Year's Eve we had a few friends and family members over for a low key gathering.  We had lots of great snacks/appetizers.  My friend Chelle made Taco Bites that flew off the table!  I made the potato skins from The Pioneer Woman cookbook, some dip, chips, veggies, pretzels and little nibbles like that.  I also made one of my brother Jamie's favorites, Sweet & Sour Hot Dogs.  Many people use this same recipe with meatballs but in my family it has always been hot dogs.  It is the easiest thing you will ever make!  Here goes:

Sweet & Sour Hot Dogs

1 package (8) of hot dogs, cut into about 1/2 inch slices
1 1/2 cups cocktail sauce (I used the store brand, it's all the same right?)
1 1/2 cups grape jelly (the stuff kids love, no need to be fancy here)

In a medium saucepan combine the cocktail sauce and jelly until completely incorporated and heated.  Add the hot dogs and cook over medium-low heat until the hot dogs are heated through.  You can get frozen mini meatballs and add them to the sauce in place of the hot dogs.  I haven't done this but may have to try it sometime.

I know this recipe sounds a little bit weird or even gross.  It's not!  You will be so surprised by these, they are yummy!  Please let me know if you try them. 

Ok, that's all for now.  Watch for a new post over the weekend. It's going to snow here in lovely New England so I'll be staying in doing some cooking.

1 comments:

Chelle said...

Believe when I say the Sweet & Sour Hotdogs ROCK! I admit, I was skeptical when I watched JEM make them, but yummmmmmm! Yes, the taco bites barely had time to be put on the platter and they were gone! Glad I got some when I did, lol! As always, JEM is a fantastic host and threw a fun and fabulous NYE!!!

Post a Comment