Friday, January 21, 2011

Blue Ribbon Winner.......


In my last post I told you about my cheesecake that won first place at the National Capital Area Cake Show last year.   I thought it would be nice to share it with you.  

This cheesecake is not at all like a New York cheesecake.  New York cheesecake tends to be very thick and either has a graham cracker crust or no crust at all.  This has a much lighter texture and a shortbread crust.  The recipe calls for vanilla as the flavor but you could add any flavor you like.  As far as toppings go you can go with just about anything!  I, more often than not, eat it plain but strawberries are always yummy and some almonds with honey is to die for. 

Please let me know if you try this recipe, I always love to get peoples' first impressions when they try it.  I have converted my mother in law, an infamous cheesecake hater.

German Cheese Pie

Crust:
1 cup plus 4 Tbsp flour
¾ tsp baking powder
½ cup sugar
¼ lb (1 stick) margarine, melted (I always use butter)

Mix all crust ingredients together, dough will be really sticky.  Press dough onto bottom and about 1 ½ inches up sides of a 10 ½ inch springform pan.  Set aside (I usually put it in in the fridge while I make the filling).

Filling:
16 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 ½ Tbsp flour
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 ½ cups milk
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all filling ingredients together except milk.  Using electric mixer blend until creamy.  Slowly add milk and mix until thoroghly combined.  Pour into prepared crust.  Bake 40-50 minutes at 325 degrees.  Cool completely on a rack, cover and chill at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

Here it is:



1 comments:

Chelle said...

It's the best cheesecake I've ever had!

Post a Comment